Male Summer Camp Program Director (Seasonal)
Position Profile: The Program Director (aka PD) is responsible for the onsite management of the Camp Awakening program for youth with physical disabilities. The overriding concern of the PD shall be the health and welfare of the campers and their fellow staff. The PD will perform all of the duties of a Camp Awakening counsellor with additional administrative duties. The successful candidate will: have experience working with youth with physical disabilities, a passion for youth development, be an excellent communicator, be able to manage multiple priorities, be personable and energetic, be resourceful with strong critical-thinking skills, have the leadership skills to manage a small team, and have a passion for working within the camp environment.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Work completed in the Toronto camp office for a duration of 4 weeks. Must be able to provide own accommodation in Toronto and transportation to/from camp office.
- Review all camper applications and conduct intake interviews with all camper families (by phone or in person)
- Collaborate with other camp staff (both Awakening & host camp) to prepare programming for the summer (evening programs, canoe trips, evaluations, schedules, meetings, camper progress reports, M.I.L.E.S learning sessions, etc.)
- Create and maintain the Camp Awakening Program Inventory (manual/guidebook to adaptive activities). Research other organization’s best practices.
- Assist with preparations for staff training weekend and host camp pre-camp
- Review inventory and participate in ordering of supplies as needed
- With Assistant Director, ensure compliance with OCA Standards
- Other duties as assigned
Work completed onsite at host camps – Kilcoo Camp for boys – for a duration of 9 weeks.
- The safety and well-being of all Awakening campers and counsellors is the PD’s primary responsibility
- Assist and support campers with all camp activities. Adapt and modify as necessary to ensure full participation.
- Assist and support campers with self-directed activities of daily living (eating, dressing, toileting etc.)
- Ensure the Camp Awakening mission is being fulfilled and goals are reached.
- Keep office staff and parents informed of any major health, behavioural and/or emotional concerns of both campers and counsellors.
- Encourage and maintain a healthy team environment amongst Awakening staff.
- Liaise with host camp and promote integration between Awakening program/campers/staff.
- Plan and administer staff time off arrangements in keeping with camp policies and staff supervision schedule on buses to and from camp.
- Complete and delegate camper evaluations, camper reports, incident and accident reports, medication logs and other administrative duties
- Other duties as assigned
- Deliver the PD & camp materials and supplies to Toronto office for winter storage
- Complete Program Director Report for submission to the Board of Directors
- Attend and if possible organize volunteers to help with annual Winter Reunion
Qualifications and Experience:
- University or college student. Studies in recreation, health or social service related fields is an asset.
- Current Bronze Cross or NLS lifesaving award.
- Current First Aid & CPR certification. Wilderness First Aid an asset.
- Recreation or camping experience. LIT or CIT program leadership an asset.
- Previous experience working with youth with physical disabilities an asset.
- Demonstrated passion for camp and working with children/youth with physical disabilities
- This position requires full availability for 9 weeks during June, July and August
- The successful applicant will need to undergo a Police Records Check
Please complete the 2018 Camp Staff Application at https://awakening.campbrainstaff.com/
No phone calls, please. We thank all applications for applying however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Camp Awakening is committed to employment equity and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. If you require an accommodation at any point during the hiring/employment process please let us know as we will work with you to meet your needs. All responses will be handled with strict confidence.