Do you love the outdoors and trying new things? Do you love being social, making new friends and being silly? Do you enjoy going on adventures? Are you a positive role model and want to make a difference in the lives of children and youth with physical disabilities? Are you looking for the summer job of a lifetime? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you should consider applying to work at Camp Awakening this summer!
Founded in 1982, Camp Awakening is a registered charity offering summer camp programs that give youth with physical disabilities the opportunity to increase independence, make lasting friendships, develop confidence, and accomplish things they never thought possible.
Camp Awakening is currently seeking enthusiastic female staff members for our Girl’s Program at Camp Oconto in Tichborne, Ontario (north of Kingston). Our staff create opportunities for youth with physical disabilities to make friends with other campers just like them and accomplish things that they never thought they could before. Building on over 35 years of experience, Camp Awakening staff are positive and energetic team players and role models who are skilled at adapting activities to meet each campers’ desire for adventure. This position includes room & board and requires the successful candidate to live on-site at Camp Oconto from the end of June until the end of August.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• The health, safety, and well-being of campers is the primary responsibility of all staff members.
• Assist and support campers with all camp activities. Adapt and modify as necessary to ensure meaningful participation and inclusion.
• Assist and support campers with self-directed activities of daily living (eating, dressing, toileting, etc.) and personal hygiene routines.
• Inspire campers to discover strengths & capabilities, try new things, and challenge their perceived limitations in a supportive and safe environment.
• Complete camper evaluations, reports and other administrative duties, as assigned.
• Attend all scheduled Awakening and Oconto meetings and training sessions.
• University or college student. Studies in recreation, health or social service fields an asset.
• Current Bronze Cross or NLS lifesaving award
• Current First Aid & CPR ‘C’ certification
• Recreation or summer camp experience. LIT or CIT program an asset
• Previous experience working with youth with physical disabilities an asset
Please complete the 2018 Camp Staff Application at https://awakening.campbrainstaff.com/
No phone calls, please. We thank all applications for applying however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Camp Awakening is committed to employment equity and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. If you require an accommodation at any point during the hiring/employment process please let us know as we will work with you to meet your needs. All responses will be handled with strict confidence.