POSITION: Assistant Director
CONTRACT: One year contract with possibility of renewal
AREA: Central Toronto with occasional travel required
Organization Profile: Founded in 1982, Camp Awakening is a registered charity providing summer camp & leadership programs that give youth with physical disabilities the opportunity to gain independence, make lasting friendships, develop confidence, and accomplish things that they never thought possible. To learn more about us, please visit: campawakening.com
Position Profile: The Assistant Director is responsible for supporting the Executive Director by assisting with the management of camp programs. The successful candidate will: have a passion for youth development; be an excellent communicator; be well-organized, be detail-oriented and able to manage multiple priorities; be personable and energetic; be resourceful with strong critical-thinking skills; will work effectively in a small office environment; and have a strong customer service orientation.
Camp Program Operations – 70%
- Primary responsibility for camper recruitment and program promotion (includes travel to camp fairs & tradeshows);
- Process camper applications and manage camper records;
- Liaise with parents to prepare their children for camp attending to health and medical details, supports & accommodations required, transportation arrangements, etc.
- Assist with seasonal program staff hiring;
- Coordinate seasonal program staff training;
- Monitor and evaluate program effectiveness (includes travel to various host camp sites while programs are in session);
- Help develop and maintain relationships with organizations in the disability community to raise the profile of Camp Awakening;
- Oversee “off-season” programs & events such an the annual Winter Reunion and local field trips;
- Ensure compliance with Ontario Camps Association Standards and legislative requirements related to programs;
- Research innovative practices from similar organizations to develop new programs and enhance existing practices.
Administration – 30%
- Provide general office support (i.e. help with mailings, managing inventory, filing and organizing records and reports, etc.)
- Assist with fundraising initiatives
- Assist with special events, both internal and 3rd Party
- Help implement annual marketing, social media, and promotional plan
- Work with volunteer committees to fulfill Camp Awakening’s mission
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working in a leadership role at a children’s summer camp or similar residential outdoor recreation program;
- Experience working with children and youth with physical disabilities an asset;
- Possess exceptional communication and relationship management skills and the ability to solve problems creatively and diplomatically;
- Proven strength in presentation skills and speaking on behalf of the organization;
- Demonstrated independence, initiative and resourcefulness, while working as part of a team.
- Microsoft Office Programs – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher or similar program;
- CampBrain or similar camp management database;
- Photo and video editing software.
- Demonstrated passion for summer camp and positive youth development;
- Valid Ontario G Driver’s Licence and access to a vehicle;
- The position involves evening and weekend commitments.
Compensation: $35,000 – $40,000 dependent on experience and qualifications
Qualified candidates who wish to be considered are invited to send a resume and cover letter in PDF format to: Tracy Morley, Executive Director at team[at]campawakening[dot]com
All applications must be received by noon on Wednesday, October 18, 2017.
Please be advised that all offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a Police Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening.
Camp Awakening is committed to employment equity and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. If you require an accommodation at any point during the hiring/employment process please let us know as we will work with you to meet your needs. All responses will be handled with strict confidence.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.